Exchange server mailbox folders are stored on local machines in the form of OST files and OST files can be accessed with only one account that created it. OST files need to be converted to PST file format if you need to access it from different account or from different system in another location.
If user is logging into Exchange Server using Outlook, then OST file will be generated to maintain a local copy of server mailbox folders. PST files are created if there is no exchange server connection, so this way you will have access to content even with bad network connection and OST files are also accessible on other computers when its converted to PST file.
There are different ways to convert an OST to PST file, for example.
Archiving: Outlook provides an option to archive data from OST file to PST file. This is done by steps explained below.
- In Outlook, Select “File” in Menu bar. Then Select “Archive”.
- Choose the folder(s) or file(s) to be archived from the selection window.
- Choose destination path for archive file to be created on local system.
- Then click “Finish” and wait for process to complete.
Using Import/Export: You can export using this method by following steps below.
- In Outlook, Select “File” in Menu bar. Then Select “Import & Export”.
- Now, select “Outlook data file” and choose PST file format.
- If the PST file is password protected, you have to enter password when it asks or can add password in “Create Outlook data file” window.
- Choose the check box “Include subfolders” and Select “Finish”
EdbMails OST to PST converter software:
Above options may not work and in these situations EdbMails converting tool comes in handy. These are steps below to use OST to PST converter:
- Open EdbMails application and login using your login credentials.
- Select Export Exchange OST file option and browse the OST file that you wish to recover.
- Select the entire Mailbox or folders from the tree view.
- Click on the button ‘Export Selected Mailbox/Folders…’ to start OST to PST conversion.