What is SharePoint?
SharePoint is a collaborating tool which provides cloud based service. It is mainly used to perform teamwork and brings different groups together. Using this service, organizations can share, organize, and access information from any device. SharePoint is a secure place to store all information. Also you can create websites using SharePoint. It makes it easier for a company to perform searches on sharepoint site for all the documents uploaded or prevent a file from being edited when one is already in the processing of modifying it. In a conventional approach, it is easy for a file to have multiple copies in different people’s inboxes thus clogging up unnecessary space. Sharepoint maintains user data in one place ensuring consistency across teams.
It is a site on your organization’s intranet that allows teams to work together and stay informed. You can create and edit sites very easily. It can contain collection of pages, lists, libraries or apps. There are two types of sites: team site and communication site.
SharePoint Team sites
SharePoint team site lets you connect with your team to share the contents and resources. It is designed to optimize for team or project collaboration with Microsoft 365 group integration. You can connect to Microsoft Teams.
SharePoint Communication sites
It is a good place to share information with broad audience. You can share news, reports, status etc. It is optimized for small number of authors but there will be large number of content readers and consumers. Communication site is not connected to Microsoft 365 group.
Why perform migration?
SharePoint Migration is a process of moving all your contents residing in your existing SharePoint to the target SharePoint site and you can migrate lists, site pages, communication sites, team sites, library, folders, tasks, events, calendars, etc. There can be many reasons why migration of sharepoint data is desired. For example a company might change to a new Office 365 account or organizations might be taken over by new domains. But there are very less options to perform manual migration of all the data without losing any of them. Microsoft offers Sharepoint Migration Tool. (SPMT). But lets look at some of the limitations of the performing migration using the conventional method.
- Time consuming. When there is large amount of sharepoint data and sites, manual migrations are not instant and usually involve Sharepoint adminisrators and developers should something break down in the middle.
- Missing Reporting and Logs. It becomes impossible to check what data has been migrated and what has not. The user is unaware of any changes during the migration and there is no option to cross check.
- Limitations of size of the data. Users having large data might be throttled by file size constraints.
EdbMails migration tool is the one of the best tools to achieve migration of Sharepoint data. It comes with an easy to use interface and guides you through simple steps.
Advantages of SharePoint migration using EdbMails
1) Supports incremental migration. By using incremental migration, it is possible to avoid duplicate data on the target server while migrating SharePoint data on the same system to the same target.
2) Access source SharePoint Online contents. It will allow users to access the source contents during migration and does not alter the contents during migration.
3) Generation of detailed migration report. The generated report consists of sites, sub-sites, number of files and documents of every folder and it also gives success or failure status of the migrated sites.
4) No limitations on size of SharePoint site data. You can migrate SharePoint data of any size. There is no restrictions on size of data. It can contain any number folders.
5) Maintains source folder hierarchy in target server. EdbMails SharePoint migration tool maintains the original folder hierarchy on the target server. The existing folder hierarchy will not change even after the migration operation.
6) Provides secure migration and gives you peace of mind. Without any data loss, you can migrate data from source to target.
7) Automatically creates sub-sites at target server. If you don’t have sub-sites on target server, then this application will automatically creates sub-sites.
How to migrate?
Step 1: Launch EdbMails application.
Step 2: Select ‘SharePoint Sites, OneDrive, O365 Groups and Team Migration’.
Step 3: By using appropriate company site URL and credentials, you have to connect to the source Office 365 admin account and click on ‘Login’ button.
Step 4: Select the required SharePoint sites and sub-sites that you want to migrate.
Step 5: Click on ‘Migrate to SharePoint’ button.
Step 6: After that you need to login to the destination Office 365 admin account with appropriate company site URL and credentials then click on ‘Login‘ button.
Step 7: Select the option to map source sites / folders with the corresponding target sites / folders. Set the Action as ‘Migrate’ and click on ‘Continue’ button.
Step 8: You can view the progress during the migration operation and appropriate message will be displayed upon completion. You can also view the log file by clicking ‘View Log’.
User Manual: https://www.edbmails.com/pages/sharepoint-migration-guide.html