Exchange 2010 migration to Office 365 can be done in three methods. Methods are named as follows, Cutover migration, Hybrid deployment and PST import. Let’s have a look into the details.
Cutover Migration is simple and straight migration technique. This migration technique is usually suggested for small or medium sized organizations, who want to instantly migrate to Office 365. Before migrating from exchange 2010 to office 365 we need follow some steps.
- First, we need to prepare our environment. It’s recommended to update your Exchange 2010 to SP3, though it’s not mandatory.
- If the directory migration synchronization and unified messaging is turned on, we should turn off the respective services before starting the migration.
- Enable and configure outlook, to do this you need to install SSL certificate and the RPC over HTTP component on your server.
- Before migration we need to assign permission to the accounts which is used for migration and it’s common to dedicate user account for migration. The migrating account needs the permissions such as, ApplicationImpersonation and View-Only Configuration for the Exchange Server and Office 365. If the target Office 365 Environment is also responsible for recreating users in Exchange online the additionally it requires View-Only Recipients role and User Management administrator.
- Mail enabled security group in office 365 should be created. Otherwise the migration service cannot store any migrated groups as security groups in office 365.
- Your domain in office 365 should be verified and in your DNS zone it requires you to add TXT record.
- To create a migration endpoint, use Exchange Admin center and the endpoint contains all the required information to connect your Exchange 2010 to Office 365.
- Create and start the cutover migration batch, which includes all mailboxes and requires an endpoint configured before this step. In this step the actual migration will be done.
- After migration change the domain MX record to point to Office 365. Emails are routed directly to Office 365 after the TTL pass. Then you can delete the migration batch and also deactivate the on-premise server.
This migration looks easy but takes a lot of time to execute.
It’s a type of migration and an advanced approach to the staged migration which is available for exchange 2003 and 2007. The one-premise and exchange online co-occur in exchange 2010 and office 365 hybrid environment. This method is recommended for migrating large amount data and it also takes the huge amount time and its recommended use for more than 150 mailboxes.
This is the last migration which uses Office 365 PST import and the idea of using this migration is, exporting exchange 2010 mailboxes to PST files and then uploading it to the office 365 organization. In this method admin needs to create the office 365 environment manually from scratch.
Each of the above listed migrations methods for Exchange 2010 to office 365 migrations has certain limitations. The cutover migration is not recommended for above 150 mailboxes and it doesn’t allow exchange and office 365 co-occurrence. The hybrid migration takes huge amount of time and you can also expect some errors while migrating. And then comes the PST migration which not automated and here admin needs to recreate the exchange 2010 environment in office 365 from scratch.
To do the hassle-free migration you can use third party tool called EdbMails Exchange 2010 to Office 365 Migration.
EdbMails Exchange 2010 Migration to Office 365
EdbMails Exchange 2010 Migration to Office is the best option for reliable and risk-free migration. You can migrate Emails, contacts, calendar, tasks etc. and each item can be migrated selectively or as whole from exchange 2010 to office 365. EdbMails gives most advanced features for user which makes the migration hassle free for user.
Granular Migration of Office 365 mailbox can Migrate Emails, Contacts, and Calendar, task etc.
User can migrate the specific items like contacts, emails and tasks by using filter option. With this user can do granular migration by selecting individual or whole mailboxes for migration according to their needs.
Initial Migration is always full. Application will migrate complete data from the selected mailbox on successful Migration. Consecutive migration to the same location will be Incremental. Only the new added items are considered for the migration and also the Items which are not migrated in earlier Migration. Incremental migration works by comparing the previous migration data. It will avoid duplicate items, bandwidth and performance of the migration.
EdbMails supports the automatic reconnection and progress the migration during discontinuous internet connection, so no need to worry about the internet connection interruptions.
Guarantees Zero down time as the currently deployed server will be continuously running and accessible during migration. And the Migration operation has no effect on their mailboxes. This ensures that users can maintain their workflow and it’s completely usable during migration.
Safe and Secure migration
Safe and secure migration as its data will be securely encrypted and also prevents from data loss. This ensures that there is no harm to the source server data which is getting migrated.
To know more please visit: : https://www.edbmails.com/pages/exchange-2010-to-office-365-migration.html